- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat and Prepare:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9x5-inch (23x13 cm) loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. Mash the Bananas:
- In a mixing bowl, peel and mash the ripe bananas until they are smooth and creamy.
3. Combine Wet Ingredients:
- Add the applesauce, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Mix until well combined.
4. Sift Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon (if using). Sifting ensures a smoother texture.
5. Mix the Batter:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are perfectly fine. If you're adding nuts or chocolate chips, fold them into the batter.
6. Transfer and Bake:
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top starts to brown too quickly, you can loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
7. Cool and Enjoy:
- Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Slice, serve, and savor the delightful, moist, and dairy-free vegan banana bread that's sure to become a favorite in your plant-based recipe collection.