For the Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice (short-grain rice)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Bowl:
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned or thinly sliced
- 8-10 ounces of extra-firm tofu or tempeh, cubed or sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (for tofu/tempeh)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (for tofu/tempeh)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for tofu/tempeh)
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Nori seaweed sheets, cut into thin strips (for garnish, optional)
- Pickled ginger, for serving (optional)
- Vegan sushi dressing or additional soy sauce, for drizzling
1. Prepare the Sushi Rice:
a. Rinse the sushi rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain well.
b. In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
c. While the rice is cooking, in a small saucepan, heat the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt over low heat until the sugar and salt dissolve. Remove from heat.
d. Once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and drizzle the vinegar mixture over it. Gently fold the vinegar mixture into the rice using a wooden or plastic spatula. Be gentle to avoid smashing the rice. Let the rice cool to room temperature.
2. Prepare the Tofu or Tempeh:
a. If using tofu, press it to remove excess moisture by wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel and placing a heavy object (like a cast-iron skillet) on top. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then cube or slice the tofu.
b. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu or tempeh and drizzle with soy sauce or tamari. Sauté until it's browned and slightly crispy on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Assemble the Sushi Bowls:
a. Divide the sushi rice among serving bowls.
b. Arrange the avocado slices, cucumber slices, julienned carrots, and cooked tofu or tempeh on top of the rice.
c. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds over the bowls for added flavor and texture.
d. If desired, garnish with thin strips of nori seaweed for that classic sushi flavor.
a. Serve the vegan sushi bowls with pickled ginger on the side and a drizzle of vegan sushi dressing or soy sauce for extra flavor.