For the Curry Base:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk (full-fat or light)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (mild or hot, as per your preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa
1. Prepare the Curry Base:
a. In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
b. Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
c. Add the diced red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes to the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
2. Spice It Up:
a. Add the chickpeas to the skillet and stir to combine with the vegetables.
b. In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle this spice mixture evenly over the vegetable and chickpea mixture. Stir to coat everything in the aromatic spices.
3. Create Creaminess:
a. Pour in the coconut milk and tomato paste, stirring until well combined with the vegetables and spices.
b. Reduce the heat to low and let the curry simmer for 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Stir occasionally.
4. Final Touch:
a. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the curry and stir to incorporate. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or lime juice as needed.
a. Ladle the chickpea and vegetable curry over a serving of cooked brown rice or quinoa.
b. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for a burst of color and flavor.